Even though there’s a Victoria’s Secret on every corner, shopping in a luxury lingerie boutique still gives an unique experience the big box stores simply can’t provide. As Alison of the celebrity-fave boutique Faire Frou Frou says on my lingerie blog, a luxury lingerie shop offers “1-on-1 advice, access to unique brands, a knowledgeable sales staff, and the ability to special-order colors, sizes, or styles not currently in stock.”
That said, if you’re unfamiliar with shopping in a lingerie boutique, I know it can be a little intimidating to start. So here are a few tips to get you on your way!
1) Be open-minded. Whether it’s learning that you’re actually a different bra size from what you thought or being encouraged to experiment with types of bras and knickers you’re never tried before, be open to playing with new things. You may discover something you love!
2) Submit to a bra fitting. While we’re on the subject of bra sizes, let the professionals at the boutique measure you. Not only are they prepared to fit you, they’re happy to do so. Knowing your correct bra size allows them to give you the very best service possible, and also lets them know how to adjust to your needs (very important since bra sizes can vary by brands!).
3) Don’t insult the merchandise. You will very likely see lingerie that is out of your personal financial comfort zone. When that happens, don’t make negative remarks about the price tag. It’s rude, disrespectful, and even hurtful to the boutique owner who’s invested a lot of time and energy into selecting some of the best lingerie from around the world. Of course, if you are genuinely curious about why something costs as much as it does, feel free to ask the salesperson for details. She should be able to tell you.
4) Tell the store you’re coming. A brief call to let them know you’re on the way or even scheduling a time to stop by in advance can make a big difference in the level of care and attention you receive. If the store knows when to expect you and the reason for your visit, they can prepare to meet your needs…up to and including a personalized pre-selection of merchandise in anticipation of your arrival.
5) Bring and tell your friends. There’s no party like a lingerie party! Feel free to bring your best friend, or, if you’re planning for a special occasion like a wedding, several of your best friends (of course, you should let the boutique know in advance). And once you’re done, share the experience with your other friends. Many boutiques don’t advertise in the traditional sense; they rely on positive word of mouth. So if you’re happy, let other people know. That way your favorite lingerie boutique can keep on helping women for years to come.
I hope these tips help with your next trip to a lingerie boutique. Why don’t you tell me what you think of this article over on The Lingerie Addict Facebook page?
This post was written for the CRAVE company by Treacle. Treacle is a 20-something knickers junkie who started writing because her friends threatened to tape her mouth shut if she didn’t stop talking about her underwear. She welcomes lingerie lovers of every nation and persuasion to her blog, The Lingerie Addict.